Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Helping Others

Are we too caught up in everyday lives that we don’t stop to help those in need. Too busy with friends, family, jobs and life.

But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? 1 John 3:17

How can someone who has the means to help people, show the love of God but be caught up in their own worldly desires such as money, cars, house and fortune. The answer is, they can’t. People lose track of what’s important by thinking I want, rather than do I need.

Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Hebrews 13:16.

We should share everything we are given with God’s children, because if it were not for him, we would not have the blessings to share.

For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me. Then these righteous ones will reply, Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you? And the King will say, I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me! Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons. For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn’t give me a drink. I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.

Then they will reply, Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you? And he answers, I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me. And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life. Matthew 25:35- 46.

There are several people out in this world, that will just take advantage of anyone and everyone who is willing to help them. That doesn’t mean not to help them though. We don’t know everyone’s battle or what they may be going through. If they need help or are asking, then its God’s Will for us to help them. Who are we to say no. When we do not know ourselves what is down their path much less what is down our own. And if they are taking advantage of what is being given to them, that’s between them and God. If we help others, that shows them the light through all we do. What we do reflects back to God. So who knows, helping others could lead them to Jesus.

“You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. You are the light of the world. A City set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your father who is in heaven.” Ephesians 4:28.

 

Money and the worldly desires are the roots of evil. “For the love of money is a root of all kinds or evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Timothy 6:10. But if we share all that we have and help others, then we shall prosper. And then the greatest reward is yet to come.

1 comment:

  1. You have done a great job with this.
    "One cannot serve both GOD and mammon" says the good shepard.
    Let us choose to help the truly needy, and the poor without judgement. Do not be foolish with the blesings that have been bestowed upon you. It is as wasteful to throw good food into the trash as it is to give money to a crack addict.
    Choose wisely.
    GOD bless you Miss Davis.

    ReplyDelete